MODIFIED FLESCH FORMULA FOR EVALUATING THE COMPLEXITY OF TEXTS IN AZERBAIJANI LANGUAGE
The article touches upon the issue of applying the Flesch reading ease formula for texts in English to texts in Azerbaijani language. To solve this problem, it describes a technique for adjusting the coefficients in a formula corresponding to parameters, such as the average sentence length in words and the average word length in syllables. Based on this methodology, identical texts in English and Azerbaijani languages (samples of works of art, academic (scientific) texts, individual sentences and their verbatim translations) are studied and, as a result, the coefficients of the Flesсh formula for texts in Azerbaijani language are adjusted (pp.41-52).
- Abdullayev A.S. The history of teaching the Azerbaijani language. Baku: Maarif, 1966.
- Sadigov I.C. The complexity of texts and evaluation ways. Express-information. Information society series, Baku: "Information Technologies" publishing house, 2012, 72 p.
- DuBay W.H. The Principles of Readability – Costa Mesa, California: Impact Information, 2004.
- Klare G.R. The measurement of readability. Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1963.
- Hargis G., Hernandez A.K., Hughes P., Ramaker J., Rouiller S., Wilde E. Developing quality technical information: A handbook for writers and editors. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1998.
- McLaughlin G.H. SMOG grading – a new readability formula // Journal of reading, 1969, vol.12, no.8, 639–646.
- Dale E., Chall J.S. The concept of readability. Elementary English, 1949, 26: 23.
- Oborneva I.V. Automation of the evaluation of the quality of text perception // Bulletin of the Moscow City Pedagogical University, 2005.
- Muller V.K. English-Russian Dictionary, Moscow: Russian Language, 1995.
- Explanatory dictionary of the Azerbaijani language. Four volumes, Baku: Sharg-Garb, 2006.