A STUDY ON QoS PROBLEMS IN AD HOC NETWORKS AND THEIR SOLUTIONS
An Ad Hoc Wireless Network (AWN) is a collection of mobile hosts forming a temporary network on-the-fly without using any fixed infrastructure. These hosts are connected together in wireless mode. For there are no access point and infrastructure in these networks, so, AWNs could be developed quickly. Characteristics of AWNs such as lack of central coordination, mobility of hosts, dynamically varying network topology, and limited availability of resources make QoS provisioning very challenging in such networks. In this paper, we describe the issues and challenges in providing QoS for AWNs and review some of solutions and factors that are necessary to support QoS in AWNs. (p. 91-97)
Keywords: Quality of Service (QoS), wireless ad hoc networks, QoS problems, QoS methods, QoS components.
- Vidhyasanker V., Manoj B.S., Murthy C.S.R. Slot Allocation Schemes for Delay-Sensitive Traffic Support in Asynchronous Wireless Mesh Networks // International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking. V. 50. N. 15. 2006. PP. 2595-2613.
- Kuros J., Ross K. Computer networking: a top-down approach. Pearson Addison Wesley, 4th edition, 2007.
- Atkinson G., Xiang Liu, Nagarajan R., Parekh S., Jing X. Dynamic topology control in ad hoc networks with directional links / Military Communications Conference (MILCOM 2005), Atlantic City, NJ., V. 1. PP. 543-549.
- Chen S., Nahrstedt K., Distributed Quality of Service Routing in ad hoc networks // IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications. 1999. V.17. N.8. PP.1488-1505.
- Saharan S., Kumar R. QoS Provisioning in VANET using Mobile Agent // International Journal of Computer Science and Communication. 2010. V. 1. N. 1. PP.199-202.
- Jain J., Fatima M., Gupta R., Bandhopadhyay K. Overview and Challenges of Routing Protocol and MAC Layer in Mobile Ad-Hoc Network // Journal of Theoretical and Applied Information Technology. 2009. PP. 6-12.
- Sekido M., Takata M., Bandai M., Watanabe T. A directional hidden terminal problem in ad hoc network MAC protocols with smart antennas and its solutions / Proc. of IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM). 2005. PP. 2583.
- Karn P. MACA - A new channel access method for packet radio / Proc. of ARRL/CRRL Amateur Radio 9th Computer Networking Conference. September 1990. PP.134–140.
- IEEE Standards Board, Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Speciﬁcations.The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc., 1997.
- Tobagi F.A., Kleinrock L., Packet switching in radio channels: Part II––The hidden terminal problem in carrier sense multiple-access and the busy-tone solution // IEEE Transactions on Communications. 1975. V.23. 12. PP.1417-1433.
- Deng J., Haas Z.J. Dual busy tone multiple access (DBTMA): A new medium access control for packet radio networks / Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Universal Personal Communications (ICUPC '98). 5-9 Oct 1998. V. 2. PP.973–977.
- Sarkar S.K., Basavaraju T.G., Puttamadappa C. Ad-hoc Mobile Wireless Networks Principles, Protocols, and Applications. Auerbach Publications, Taylor & Francis Group, 2008.
- Carvalho M. Security in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks // IEEE Security and Privacy Magazine. 2008. V. 6 N. 2. PP. 72-75.
- Bouhouche H., Fatmi S. A QoS-based Resources Reservation Mechanism for Ad hoc Networks // Internatonal Journal of Computer Applications. 2010. V. 6. N. 3. PP. 29-34.
- Manfredi V., Crovella , Kurose J. Understanding stateful vs stateless communication strategies for ad hoc networks / Proc. of the 17th ACM Annual Int-l Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, New York, 2011.
- Zanella A., Miorandi D., Pupolin S., Raimondi P. On Providing Soft-QoS in Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks / Proc. of WPMC’03, October 19-22, 2003, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan.
- Yang Y., Kravets R. Distributed QoS Guarantees for Realtime Traffic in Ad Hoc Networks.Technical Report UIUCDCSR-2004-2446, June 2004.