SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS ON THE WEB: STATE OF THE ART, PROBLEMS AND FUTURE DIRECTIONS
Social networks have attracted much attention recently. Different studies have been conducted to automatically extract social networks among various kinds of entities from the Web. Social network analysis (SNA) finds its application in many current business areas. Although much work has been done for extraction and analysis of social networks on the Web, still there are open problems for which solutions are required. In this paper initially we give a brief history of social network analysis. Then, we describe some of the mostly used data sources for social network data on the Web. Afterwards, we give an overview of some of the existing methods and algorithms for extracting social networks from the Web. Finally, we conclude with what we shall be addressing in our research. (p. 3-11)
- Jamali and H.Abdolhassani, Different aspects of social network analysis, Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, Hong Kong, China, 2006, pp.66–72.
- J.Golbeck, Web-based social networks: a survey and future directions, Technical Report, 2005, 14 p.
- M.Gotta, Analysis of Social Networks: telling old stories in new ways, http://mikeg.typepad.com/perceptions/2008/04/analysis-of-soc.html, 2008.
- M.Granovetter, The strength of weak ties, American Journal of Sociology, 1973, v.78, no.6, pp.1360-1380.
- A.Marin and B.Weldman, Forthcoming in handbook of social network analysis, SAGE, London, 2000, 240p.
- W. Kim, O. Jeong, and S.W. Lee, On social web sites, Information Systems, 2010, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 215–236.
- B. Pouliquen, H.Tanev, and M.Atkinson, Extracting and learning social networks out of multilingual news, Proceedings of the Social Networks and Application Tools Workshop (SocNet-08), Skalica, Slovakia, 2008, pp.13–16.
- P. Nasirifard, V.Peristeras, C.Hayes, and S.Decker, Extracting and utilizing social networks from log files of shared workspaces, IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, 2009, vol.307, pp.643–650.
- G. Geleijnse, and J.Korst, Creating a dead poets society: extracting a social network of historical persons from the web, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference of the Semantic Web and 2nd Asian Conference on Asian Semantic Web Conference, Busan, Korea, 2009, pp.156–168.
- T. Nishimura and Y.Matsuo, A method of social network extraction via internet and networked sensing, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Networked Sensing Systems, Chicago, USA, 2006.
http://citeseerx. ist.psu.edu /viewdoc/download ?doi=10.1.1.108.3289&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- H. Kautz, B.Selman, and M.Shah, The hidden web, AI Magazine, 1997, vol. 18, no.2, pp.27–35.
- P. Mika, Flink: semantic web technology for extraction and analysis of social networks, Journal of Web Semantics, 2005, vol.3, no.2, pp.211–223.
- A. Culotta, R.Bekkerman, and A.McCallum, Extracting social networks and contact information from email and the web, Proceedings of the First Conference on Email and Anti-Spam, California, USA, 2004. http://www2.selu.edu/Academics /Faculty/ aculotta/ pubs/culotta04extracting.pdf
- Y.Matsuo, J.Mori, and M.Hamasaki, POLYPHONET: an advanced social network extraction system, Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on World Wide Web, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2006, pp.262–278.
- J.Tang, D.Zang, and L.Yao, Social network extraction of academic researchers, Proceedings of the 2007 Seventh IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Omaha, USA, 2007, pp.292–301.
- V.Stroele, J.Oliveira, G.Zimbrao, and J.M. Souza, Mining and analysing multirelational social networks, Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, 2009, pp.711–716.
- R.Rowe, G.Creamer, S.Hershkop, and S.J.Stoflo, Automated social hierarchy detection through email and network analysis, Proceedings of the 9th WebKDD and 1st SNA-KDD 2007 Workshop on Web Mining and Social Network Analysis, San Jose, USA, 2007, pp.109–117.
- C. Bron, J.Kerbosch, Finding all cliques of an undirected graph, Communications of the ACM, 1973, vol.16, no.9, pp.575–577.
- Q.Li and Y.B.Wu, People search: searching people sharing similar interests from the Web, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2007, vol.59, no.1, pp.111–125.
- T.Finin, L. Ding, and L.Zou, Social networking on the semantic Web, The Learning Organization, 2005, vol.12, no.5, pp.418–435.
- B.Aleman-Meza, M.Nagarajan, L.Ding, A.Sheth, et al, Semantic analytics on social networks: Experiences in addressing the problem of conflict of interest detection, Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on World Wide Web, Edinburgh, Scotland, 2006, pp.407–416.
- J.Goldbeck, and M.Rothstein, Linking social networks on the web with FOAF, Proceedings of the 23rd National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2008, Chicago, USA, pp.1138–1143.
- R.Alguliyev, R.Alguliyev, and F.Ganjaliyev, Role of similarity measures in ranking network entities, Intelligent Information Management, 2010 (in press).
- F.Ganjaliyev, Building a heterogeneous social network of academic researchers, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference of “Problems of Cybernetics and Informatics”, Baku, Azerbaijan, 6–8 September, 2010, vol.1, pp.179–182.
- N.Du, B.Wu, X.Pei et al., Community detection in large-scale social networks, Proceedings of the 9th WebKDD and 1st SNA-KDD 2007 Workshop on Web Mining and Social Network Analysis, San Jose, USA, 2007, pp.16–25.
- J.Baumes, M.Goldberg, M.Magdon, and W.Wallace, Discovering Hidden Groups in Communication Networks, Proceedings of the 2nd NSF/NIJ Symposium on Intelligence and Security Informatics, Tucson, USA, 2004 pp.378–389.
- D.Cai, Z.Shao, X.He et al., Mining hidden community in heterogeneous social networks, Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Link Discovery, 2005, Chicago, USA, pp.58–65