THE BIG DATA ERA IN HEALTHCARE: PROMISES AND CHALLENGES
Currently, Big data has become one of the driving forces of the development of information society. Big-data have the potential to transform health care. In this article, the essence of big data is described, the sources, possibilities of big data are interpreted in healthcare. Some created problems of big data in healthcare are also analyzed. The security issues of personal medical information is reviewed, recommendations related to the development of the healthcare sector are given (pp.64-72).
Keywords: Big Data, healthcare, e-medicine, genom, biomedicine, telemedicine, electronic health records, personal medical data.
DOI : 10.25045/jpit.v08.i1.08
- Zhang Sh.Big Data for Healthcare in China: a Review of the State-of-art // Cambridge Journal of China Studies, 2015, vol.10, no.1, pp.32–40.
- Sebastian S.V., Haimann A., Mossialos E. Big Data and Health Care: Challenges and Opportunities for Coordinated Policy Development in the EU // Health Systems & Reform, 2015, vol.1, no.4, pp.285–300.
- Susan E.W.A review of big data in health care: challenges and opportunities // Open Access Bioinformatics, 2014, no.6, pp.13–18.
- Whitepaper: Healthcare Disaster Recovery. www.bridgeheadsoftware.com
- Wyber, etal.Big data in global health: improving health in low- and middle-income countries. www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/93/3/14-139022.pdf
- Alguliyev R.M., Hajirahimova M.S. “Big Data” phenomenon: Challenges and Opportunities // Problems of Information Technologies, 2014, No2, pp.3–16.
- The Digital Universe in driving data growth in healthcare. 2014. www.emc.com/collateral/analyst-reports/idc-the-digital-universe-in healthcare.pdf
- Laney D. “3D Data Management: Controlling Data Volume, Velocity and Variety.” Technical report, META Group, Inc (now Gartner, Inc.), February 2001. http://blogs.gartner.com/
- Big data: The next frontier for innovation, competition, and productivity. Analyst report, McKinsey Global Institute, May 2011. www.mckinsey.com/
- Jee K., Kim G.H. Potentiality of Big Data in the Medical Sector: Focus on How to Reshape the Healthcare System // Healthcare Informatics Research, 2013, vol.19, no.2, pp.79–85.
- Hajirahimova M.S. Big Data technologies and information security challenges // Problems of Information Technologies, 2016, No1, pp.49–56.
- Imamverdiyev Y.N. Big prospects and problems of Big Data technology //Problems of Information Society, 2016, No1, pp.23–34.
- Zhang Z. Big data and clinical research: focusing on the area of critical care medicine in mainland China // Quantitative Imaging in Medicine and Surgery, 2014, vol.4, no.5, pp.426–429.
- Margolis R., Derr L., Dunn M. et al. The National Institutes of Health’s Big Data to Knowledge (BD2K) initiative: capitalizing on biomedical big data // Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 2014, vol.21, no.6, pp. 957–958.
- Baro E., Degoul S., Beuscart R., and Chazard E. Toward a Literature-Driven Definition of Big Data in Healthcare // BioMedResearch International, 2015, Article ID 639021, 9 pages. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/6390212014
- Mayer-Shenberger V. Kukier K. Big data. A revolution that will change the way we live, work and think, M.: MIF, 2014, p.17.
- Buchan I., Bishop Ch.A Unified Modelling Approach to Data-Intensive Healtcare. The fourth paradigm, 2009, pp.91–97.
- Toga A.W., Dinov I.D. Sharing big biomedical data // Journal of Big Data, 2015, vol.2, no.7, pp.1–12.
- Trifonova O.P., Ilyin V.A., Kolker E.V., Lisitsa A.V. Big data in biology and medicine // Acta Naturae, 2013, Volume 5, No3 (18), pp.14-17.
- Otero P., Hers W.H, Ganesh J. Big Data: Are Biomedical and Health Informatics Training Programs Ready? // Yearbook of Medical Informatics, 2014, pp.177–181. http://dx.doi.org/10.15265/IY-2014-0007
- Coakley M., Crocetti G., Dressner P., Kellum W. Transforming Telemedicine Through Big Data Analytics. Cornell University Library, 2015.
- What is Telemedicine? American Telemedicine Association. www.americantelemed.org/
- Wullianallur R., Viju R.Big Data Analytics in Healthcare: Promise and Potential //Health Information Science and Systems, 2014, no.2, vol.3, pp.1–10.
- Big data at the speed of business. 2015. www-01.ibm.com/software/data/bigdata/
- Tene O., Polonetsky J. Privacy in the age of big data: A time for big decisions //Stanford Law Review Online, 2012. http://www.stanfordlawreview.org/online/privacy-paradox/big-data
- Greenleaf G. Global Data Privacy Laws: 89 Countries, and Accelerating, Privacy Laws & Business International Report, February 2012.
- The Use of Big Data in Public Health Policy and Research, 2014. http://ec.europa.eu/research/health/pdf/public-health-research_en.pdf
- Herland M., Khoshgoftaar T M., Wald R. A review of data mining using big data in health informatics // Journal of Big Data, 2014, vol.1, no.2, pp.1–35.
- Alyass A., Turcotte M., Meyre D. From big data analysis to personalized medicine for all: challenges and opportunities //BMC Medical Genomics, 2015, vol.8, no.33, pp.1–12.
- Finance, Government of Canada, Department of. “Budget 2016: Chapter 5 - An Inclusive and Fair Canada”. www.budget.gc.ca. Retrieved2016-05-02.
- The Law on Personal Data of the Republic of Azerbaijan, May 11, 2010, www.president.az