ATTRACTION OF VOLUNTEERS IN PROJECTS OF VOLUNTARY DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING
The main methods of attracting volunteers to volunteer distributed computing projects are reviewed. The preferences of volunteers based on the results of sociological research are discussed. A set of measures is proposed for the successful deployment and maintenance of a volunteer distributed computing project on the BOINC platform. The applicability of the considered methods of attracting volunteers for smart city and e-governance is substantiated (pp.60-69).
Keywords: volunteer distributed computing, BOINC, volunteer distributed computing projects, volunteer motivation, multiparameter evaluation.
DOI : 10.25045/jpit.v10.i2.09
- Foster I., Kesselman C. (Eds.). The Grid 2: Blueprint for a new computing infrastructure. Elsevier, 2003, 748 p.
- Foster I., Kesselman C. Globus: A metacomputing infrastructure toolkit // The International Journal of Supercomputer Applications and High Performance Computing, 1997, vol.11, no. 2, pp.115–128.
- Thain D., Tannenbaum T., Livny M. Distributed computing in practice: the Condor experience // Concurrency and computation: practice and experience, 2005, vol.17, issue 2–4, pp. 323–356.
- Grimshaw A.S., Wulf W.A. The Legion vision of a worldwide virtual computer. Communications of the ACM, 1997, vol.40, no.1, pp.39–45.
- Anderson D. P. BOINC: A system for public-resource computing and storage / In Grid Computing Proceedings. Fifth IEEE/ACM International Workshop on 2004, November,
- The server of statistics of voluntary distributed computing projects on the BOINC platform. http://boincstats.com. (date of access: 30.08.2018).
- Da Silva D.P., Cirne W., Brasileiro F.V. Trading cycles for information: Using replication to schedule bag-of-tasks applications on computational grids / In European Conference on Parallel Processing, 2003, pp.169–180.
- Vatutin E. I., Titov V.S. Voluntary distributed computing for solving discrete combinatorial optimization problems using Gerasim@home project / In Distributed computing and grid-technologies in science and education: book of abstracts of the 6th international conference. Dubna: JINR, 2014, pp.60–61.
- Posypkin M., Semenov A., & Zaikin O. Using BOINC desktop grid to solve large scale SAT problems // Computer Science, 2012, vol.13, no.1, p.25.
- Zaikin O.S., Posypkin M.A., Semenov A.A., Khrapov N.P. Experience in organizing volunteer computing: a case study of the OPTIMA@home and SAT@home projects // Vestnik of Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod, 2012, no.5–2, pp.340–347.
- Chien A., Calder B., Elbert S., & Bhatia K. Entropia: architecture and performance of an enterprise desktop grid system // Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 2003, vol. 63, no.5, pp.597–610.
- Clary E.G., Snyder M., Ridge R.D., Copeland J., Stukas A.A., Haugen J., Miene P. Understanding and assessing the motivations of volunteers: a functional approach // Journal of personality and social psychology, 1998, vol.74, no.6, p.1516.
- Webpage of World Community Grid project. 2013 Member Study: Findings and Next Steps www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=323 (date of access: 25.09.2018).
- Yakimets V.N., Kurochkin I.I. Voluntary distributed computing in Russia: a sociological analysis / Collection of scientific articles of the XVIII Joint Conference "Internet and Con-temporary Society" (IMS-2015), St. Petersburg, June 23, 2015, St. Petersburg: ITMO University, 2015. Sc.345-352. ISBN 978-5-7577-0502-6. (in Russian)
- Yakimets V.N., Kurochkin I.I. Multiparameter and Index Evaluation of Voluntary Distributed Computing Projects. In: Alexandrov D., Boukhanovsky A., Chugunov A., Kabanov Y., Koltsova O. (eds). Digital Transformation and Global Society (DTGS 2018) // Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol.858. Springer, Cham, 2018, pp.528–542.